Taginey Lamb Pasta Sauce
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- Olive oil (as needed)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves or 8 small cloves garlic, peeled and crushed (via garlic crusher)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/3 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 chunk minced fresh young (Hawaiian) ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 28 oz cans of ground tomatoes
- 2 14 oz cans of fire roasted chunky tomatoes
- 2 14 oz cans of fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- Kosher Salt to taste
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 2 anchovy filets
- 3/4 small quick preserved lemon
- Soy sauce (to taste)
- Brown ground lamb. Put browned lamb into a bowl. Cook off water from juices. Use fat and olive oil (if needed) to cook onions and herbs (below).
- Add onions and garlic to pan. Stir frequently over medium heat until onions begin to get limp, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add paprika, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, and cardamom; stir until very fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add lamb back, stirring, then salt, then tomatoes (including juices), and rinse out the cans with a little water (into the sauce).
- Add preserved lemon, anchovies and olives.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce sauce, adding more cans (depending on size of pot) until the sauce is the desired consistency.
- As sauce develops, add salt, soy, preserved lemons to taste (especially to balance out sweetness from the tomatoes).