Ruby Pork with Three Roots
Original Recipe by Hanne Blank.
- 3 medium beets
- 1 large onion
- 5 oz fresh ginger root
- 4 oz boneless pork
- marinade for pork: 1 crushed garlic clove, 1 T Xiao Xing wine or sherry, 2 t soy sauce
- sauce for stir fry: 2 T brown bean sauce, 2 T Chiankiang vinegar
- cilantro or chinese leeks/garlic chives for color/brightness
- Slice beets and ginger into relatively equal matchsticks and set aside.
- Slice onion in half, then slice (approximately as thick as your matchsticks) and set aside.
- Slice ginger root into bite-size, thin pieces, marinate with marinade. Set aside.
- Mix sauce for stir fry and set aside.
- Cut up your green accent and set aside.
- Stir fry the beets and ginger for 4 - 8 minutes until almost done. Add onions and let it steam them almost all of the rest of the way. When onions are tinged red and less steamy, take all out of the wok and set aside.
- Stir fry the pork until white (almost cooked) on the outside. Add beets/ginger/onion mixture and stir fry until everything is hot. Add stir fry sauce and mix more until fragrant. Add greens and stir fry for a few more seconds.
- Serve on rice.