Rangpur Lime Curd
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Adapted from Saveur's Key Lime Curd.
- 1 cup sugar (preferably byproduct from from sugaring citrus peels)
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup fresh Rangpur Lime juice
- 1/8 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 7 Tbsp butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- (optional) 1 or 2 candied citrus peels
- Process sugar and lime leaves until leaves are in small (2mm square or smaller) pieces. Process in the citrus peels here too if you have them. Set aside. Let sit for a couple of hours.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar mixture in a 4 qt sauce pan.
- Add the juice and salt and whisk mixture together until smooth (some white may stay out of the rest of the blended mix)
- Heat on medium heat, stirring CONSTANTLY, for 10 minutes. Mixture should start to thicken at minute 9 or 10. Stop cooking after everything's gelled and incorporated. If not smooth it is okay.
- Add butter a few cubes at a time into the mixture and incorporate with a whisk. Heat should be off at this step.
- When all the butter is incorporated, pour through a fine strainer into a large bowl.
Processing: If processing:
- Process hot into 1 cup sanitized jars.
- Finger tighten and process for 15 minutes at 180 degrees F (a low simmer).
- Set aside and wait for seal.