Beef with Cucumber and Black Bean Sauce
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 3/4 lb beef for stir fry
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 Tbsp Double Black Soy
- 1 Tbsp Black Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing Wine or Sherry
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp fermented black beans
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil (for cooking)
- Slice beef into bite-sized slices.
- Peel the cucumber (if necessary). Slice into slices roughly equivalent to the beef slices.
- For the marinade, add the cornstarch last. Marinate with the marinade in a bowl for 20 - 30 minutes.
- To prepare sauce, rinse the beans and feel for stones (sometimes they get through). Put in mortar and pestle with 2 cloves of crushed garlic. Grind the two together.
- To cook:
- Heat wok.
- Add peanut oil.
- Add black beans and garlic and saute in oil until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add marinated beef. Stir it like you mean it. You can let the slices sit to sear if you like.
- When beef is 9/10 cooked, add cucumbers and stir-fry with beef. Turn off heat and let coast.
Serve on rice.