Difference between revisions of "Yaya's Spanakopita"
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Created page with "From original scanned sheet and input from Jen. Ingredients: * 4 lbs spinach, washed, stemmed, chopped * 9 eggs * 1 lb feta, crumbled * 12 oz...")
Latest revision as of 08:50, 21 February 2016
From original scanned sheet and input from Jen.
- 4 lbs spinach, washed, stemmed, chopped
- 9 eggs
- 1 lb feta, crumbled
- 12 oz cottage cheese
- 2-3 bunches green onions
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- package of filo dough
- olive oil
- Saute the onion in a little olive oil until soft, but not brown.
- Add spices (basil, oregano, pepper)
- Add garlic, and cook it for just a few seconds until it's fragrant.
- In separate bowl, mix the eggs, add chopped spinach and cheese. Then add in the garlic/onion mixture and mix well.
- Make melted butter/olive oil mixture for filo layers: Mix melted butter and olive oil in a ratio to your liking, totalling about 3/4 cup.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, layer 8 sheets filo, brushing each layer with the butter/olive oil mixture.
- Add filling and smooth it flattish.
- Top with more buttered filo (another 6-8 sheets). Cut the top few sheets of filo to mark the serving sizes - this keeps the top layers of filo from shattering when you cut it for service.
- Bake at 375F for 45 - 55 minutes.