White Peach, Cheese and Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Mixed salad greens, washed, to serve a large portion of salad
- 1 very ripe, large white peach
- 1 or more very ripe heirloom tomatoes
- Hard, sharp cheese (Used Pecorino Elighe)
- (Optional) Candied nuts
- (Optional) Pita chips or stale pita
- Enough olive oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard (to encourage emulsification) for a vinaigrette
- Wash, tear and mix salad greens into a large mixing bowl.
- Toss greens with vinaigrette. Add oil and vinegar and toss more if you don't have enough vinaigrette for your salad.
- Slice up peach and tomatoes into approximately equal size pieces. Add to bowl, toss.
- Shave cheese with a cheese shaver or vegetable peeler. Sprinkle shavings over bowl.
- Break up candied nuts if in clusters and sprinkle over bowl.
- Crush Pita chips or tear pita lightly into reasonable-sized pieces and sprinkle over bowl.
Notes: A sweet stone fruit really reminds the eater that tomato is a fruit. The salad probably works best with the sweeter tomatoes but it works fine with more savory ones as well. Sweet-savory is a time-honored and classic culinary tradition.