Soft-Boiled Eggs with Custard Yolks (7:30 eggs)
Makes eggs with a custardy, slightly runny yolk.
- large eggs
- Put cold water to cover eggs in a pan deep enough for the eggs and the water.
- Take eggs out and set aside.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Use a spider or sieve to gently place cold eggs in the boiling water. Don't let them drop crack on the bottom of the pan.
- Set timer to 7 and a half minutes. Start timer when water is boiling again with eggs in it.
- While eggs are boiling, prepare a salted ice bath.
- When timer ends, use spider to transfer eggs quickly to the ice bath.
- Stir the eggs in the bath until the ice stops melting. Eggs can hold until they're needed sitting in the bath.
- Peel the eggs in the ice bath to help with peeling.
- Cut eggs and serve.
- If one or two eggs crack while lowering into the boiling water, it's okay. They do that. They may still be usable, or you may have to eat it when you peel it. Take one for the team!