Moroccan Eggplant Salad
- Scant teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pound/1 large firm eggplant
- 1 small, red onion, or 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoons chopped flat parsley, divided
- Electric spice grinder OR mortar and pestle
- toasted or plain pita, possibly decorated with olive oil, sumac, and/or paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare a baking sheet with your choice of liner.
- Char/smoke eggplant on open flame of your stove's burner. Put the burner on high, and put the eggplant directly on the burner grate. Turn regularly with tongs until most of the skin is scorched.
- Put eggplant on baking sheet and pierce the stem end several times and optionally score the sides with a sharp knife.
- Roast in oven at 400 F until the eggplant collapses, about 40 minutes to an hour.
- While roasting, prepare onion. Trim and chop onion.
. . .