Italian Lamb Pasta Sauce
Revision as of 15:12, 30 May 2012 by Malcolm (Created page with "Ingredients: * 1 lb ground lamb * 1 lb ground pork * olive oil * half a large onion, chopped * 2-5 cloves garlic (or 2 large cloves hard neck garlic) * 2 12 oz cans diced or chop...")
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 lb ground pork
- olive oil
- half a large onion, chopped
- 2-5 cloves garlic (or 2 large cloves hard neck garlic)
- 2 12 oz cans diced or chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp Italian blend seasoning
- 1 8 oz can tomato paste
- two large red bell-type peppers
- (optional) cured pitted black olives
- (optional) anchovies
- Peel and chop onion coarsely. Peel and slice or smash or mince or crush garlic.
- Drizzle a deep heavy-bottomed pan with olive oil. At medium heat, sautee onions until they start becoming translucent. Add garlic, sautee both. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Depending on fattiness, add (or not) oil to pan and cook lamb at medium heat, stirring and cutting up with spatula until the coarseness is what you like and the pinkness is gone. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Depending on fattiness, add (or not) oil to pan and cook pork at medium heat, stirring and cutting up with a spatula until the coarseness is what ou like and the pinkness is gone.
- Transfer cooked lamb and cooked onions and garlic and all attendant liquids back into pot with pork. Turn heat to low.
- Add Italian blend seasoning. Stir pot.
- Open cans of diced or chopped tomatoes, empty into pot, rinse cans with 1/4 to 1/2 can of water each. Stir pot.
- Open can of tomato paste. Use spoon to empty can into pot. Rinse can liberally and repeatedly with water (1/2 can each time), up to 3 times. Stir pot.
- Trim and cut up peppers into similar size as rest of ingredients in the pot. Add to pot. Stir pot.
- Mince a small handful of olives and add to pot. Stir pot.
- Add an anchovy or two (to taste). Stir pot. The goal is to have the anchovies fall apart and distribute evenly.
- Taste your sauce, especially for salt. Adjust with olives and anchovies, or salt if you must.
- Turn pot to very low, cover, leaving a gap between cover and pot and let simmer for as long as you like.
- Occasionally taste, if you like, tweak, fine tune.