Difference between revisions of "Bacon with Collards"
|(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)|
|Line 30:||Line 30:|
Latest revision as of 11:28, 2 July 2012
Original Recipe (Simply Recipes)
Tasty and bacony!
Ingredients: (Modified due to recipe misreading)
- 6 strips thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2" lengths
- half a large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 T sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp finely ground black pepper
- several dashes hot sauce (See Foods for Chipotle Hot Sauce)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 large bunch collards (1/2 pound), stem removed, cut into 1 1/2 inch strips
- 1 cup ham broth (See Foods for Better than Boullion Ham Base)
- In a large skillet, medium heat, cook bacon until it just begins to brown on the edges and still looks almost raw in the center. Stir occasionally.
- Add onions and cook until they start softening.
- Add garlic, sugar, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Cook until garlic gets fragrant (about a minute).
- Add vinegar to deglaze pan and cook down until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add collard greens and broth. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir occasionally. Cook until greens lose their brightness.
- Season final product to taste with vinegar and hot sauce (no change this time - it was rich with just a hint of tang and spice)
- Serve with some of the liquid from the pan.