Simple Cauliflower Puree
This recipe tastes rich and suggests a cheesiness that isn't there. The simplest variation highlights the cauliflower taste, but other additives really quell the cauliflower taste. Buy good cauliflower.
Simplest variation: Ingredients:
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- Olive Oil to taste and texture (~1/4 cup?)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut cauliflower into manageable chunks. Trim core and slice into equivalent pieces.
- Boil chunks of cauliflower for 10 - 15 minutes until stems are soft.
- Loosely and wetly transfer boiled cauliflower to a bowl and mash olive oil and seasonings into it with a potato masher. Stop at desired mixing and consistency. Aim for a consistency like Baba Ganoush.
- Add butter to taste.
- Add white miso to taste.
- Roast some of the cauliflower and puree roasted and boiled cauliflower with a food processor (roasted cauliflower will be too fibrous to mash with the potato masher)
- Add some broth or concentrated boullion to the mix.
- Add some toasted pureed pine nuts or almonds to the mix.
- Add fresh or sauteed or roasted garlic to the mix.
- Add whatever else you might add to mashed potatoes to the mix.