Sake Research and Experimentation
Work already done:
- Sake Recipe is from Vol 33, page 122 of Make magazine.
- Chinese Rice Wine discussion/article is by Harold McGee, Lucky Peach, Issue 5: Fall 2012, "Chinatown", article: "Harold McGee on... 酒...", page 34.
Research in progress:
- Interesting to note that Harold McGee uses a different Chinese character as the second character to other articles about ostensibly the same thing. Another research topic?
Koji is a starter mold/culture for making sake. It's possible/likely that the mold that is in the yeast balls we get from Chinatown is the same responsible for making Koji for Miso and Sake.
- Urban Farmer on Rice Wines and fermentation mechanics, also a picture of a bag of "yeast" similar to our own
- Discussion of Homemade Chinese Rice Wine and uses for lees on Everything2
- Wikipedia article on the mold in question
- Wikipedia article on the yeast and mold ball types used for starters in brewing rice wine to make rice liquor in China
- Discussion of Rice Wine/Sake on HomeBrewWorld forums
- Discussion of Koji on Sake World