Milk and Peach Gelato
Based on Saveur's Milk Gelato recipe, with addition of "jamified" peaches and a measured amount of Luxardo Apricot liqueur.
- Two large ripe peaches or 3 small ones
- About 1/2 cup sugar (to taste) for peaches
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 7 tsp cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Luxardo Apricot liqueur
- Create "jamified" peaches by seeding and dicing the peaches. Put in a pan and cook over medium-low heat. Add a pinch of salt and taste for sweetness. Adjust by adding some sugar, up to, about, 1/2 cup, but use your best judgement.
- Dissolve the 1 cup of sugar and the cornstarch in 1 cup of milk in a small bowl. Add the liqueur and mix well.
- Bring cream and 2 cups of the milk to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add a 1/4 cup of the jamified peaches to flavor the mix.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in milk-cornstarch mixture. Return the pan to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture either comes to a boil or you take its temperature and it exceeds 205F, thickening slightly. Depending on your stove, this should take 5 - 10 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate the mix until well chilled, 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Process/freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the mfg's instructions.
- While putting the ice cream into freezable containers, layer it with the rest of the jamified peaches and mix gently, then put in freezer for the rest of the freezing process.