Coconut Rice with Mango
[Original recipe http://www.realthairecipes.com/recipes/mango-with-sticky-rice/]
From original recipe (often make 2x - 4x): Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup raw sticky rice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (chao koh brand, shaken)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds or salted fried mung beans (optional)
- 1 sweet, ripe yellow mango
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (chao koh brand, shaken)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon tapioca starch (optional)
- Soak the sticky rice for at least an hour before steaming.
- Steam for 20 minutes on medium-high in a sticky rice steamer. If you don’t have a sticky rice steamer, you can try steaming in a bowl in a covered saucepan with an inch of water at the bottom of the pan. You could also try using a regular steamer, but cover the holes with cheese cloth or muslin cloth so that the rice doesn’t fall through.
- While steaming, prepare the sauce for the rice. Add the 1/2 cup of coconut milk to a saucepan along with the 1 1/3 tablespoons sugar & 1/4 teaspoon salt, and stir over low heat until dissolved. Set aside.
- Prepare the topping sauce as well. In another small saucepan, add the 1/4 cup coconut milk, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt, and stir over low heat until dissolved. Mix the tapioca starch with a little bit of water in a small bowl until a paste, then add as well. Mixing the starch beforehand will prevent any lumps from forming in the sauce. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat.
- When the rice is finished, spread out in a shallow bowl and cover with 1/2 the thin sauce (the sauce you made first). Stir well and keep adding more until you reach saturation point. Depending on the rice used, it should be around 75% of the sauce. You may need to use it all. You don’t want very wet rice, it should be somewhat dry and sticky. Don’t add until it’s submerged, but keep in mind that the rice will absorb some of the liquid. I usually add until just before I see puddles of coconut milk. Stir well and cover with a towel. Let the rice absorb the coconut milk for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice mango as shown and arrange on a plate. Spoon an equal amount of sticky rice next to it, and top with a few spoons of the thicker sauce. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds or fried salty mung beans.