Revision as of 13:14, 18 October 2016 by Malcolm (Created page with "From The Pioneer Woman's [http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/cheesy-cauliflower-soup/ recipe]. Ingredients: * 4 slices Thin Bacon, Cut Into Small Bits * 1 whole White Onion,...")
From The Pioneer Woman's recipe.
- 4 slices Thin Bacon, Cut Into Small Bits
- 1 whole White Onion, Finely Diced
- 1 head Cauliflower, Broken Into Small Florets
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun Spice, More To Taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 quarts Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/2 stick Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Half-and-half
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 3 cups Grated Monterey Jack Cheese, More To Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Parsley
- Salt As Needed
- In a large pot, fry the bacon pieces over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove the bits from the pan and drain on a paper towel. Pour off the grease and return the pan to stove, leaving the bacon bits to the side for now.
- Add onions and cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add cauliflower, sprinkle with Cajun spice and black pepper, and stir, cooking for another 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cauliflower starts turning golden brown. Pour in chicken broth, stir, and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. After that time, you can use an immersion blender to puree slightly or all the way if you prefer. (Or use a regular blender; just don't fill too full.)
- In a separate saucepan or skillet, melt the butter. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk to form a paste. Pour in the milk, then continue cooking until it becomes thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the half and half.
- Pour the white sauce into the soup. Turn the heat to medium-high and bring back to a boil for 3-5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the sour cream and cheese until fully melted. Stir in the parsley.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with a little extra cheese, a sprinkle of bacon, and a sprinkle of parsley.