- 4 lbs pork shoulder (5 lbs if bone in)
- 1 12 oz can of coke OR 12 oz water plus 2 T Caramelized Sugar syrup and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 2 limes
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 3-4 assorted dried chiles (ancho/guajillo)
- (1+ T seeds, toasted and ground?) cumin
- 1 large yellow onion
- kosher salt to taste (start with forefinger pinch)
- Quarter onion.
- Cut citrus across equator.
- In a large dutch oven, add pork, coke, juice and rind of citrus, all other ingredients.
- Add enough water to get halfway up meat.
- Bring to boil.
- Skim scum/foam.
- Reduce heat and partially cover (with lid).
- After 1 hour, remove orange and lime rinds, squeezing out any liquid.
- Mid-way through (about 2 hours) cooking, taste liquid and remove chiles if the braising liquid is particularly spicy hot. Finished carnitas will not be as spicy as liquid. Add more salt if needed.
- Simmer until a chopstick can easily pierce the meat.
- Remove meat and let rest for 10 minutes. Continue reducing cooking liquid (if any). Skim excess fat, leaving 2-3T in pan.
- Remove bones and cartilage from meat, returning in chunks (the size you want) to pan.
- Fry in remaining fat and sauce.
- NOTE: If cooking to store, add meat back to sauce and coat, then fry when desired to eat.